SA100 tax return form

Registering as self-employed if you have no NI number

If you need to register as self-employed but you don’t have a national insurance (if for example you have just relocated to the UK), usually DWP would hold face to face interviews as part of the process of allocating you a national insurance number. However, due to COVID19, the processing of national insurance number allocations has been suspended, and currently there is no date for when this will restart.

As an interim measure, affected individuals that need to register as self-employed should do so by completing a SA1 form (which you can find by searching on In the “reason for no national insurance number” section, enter that you are unable to obtain one as DWP are not currently holding face to face interviews due to COVID19. In the section “why do you need to complete a tax return” you should complete box “any other reason” as “self-employed”, and include the type of work you are doing.

Once you have been allocated a national insurance number you will need to call the self-employed helpline to register for class 2 national insurance straight away. This is important as it will ensure that your contributions are recorded correctly for future benefit claims.

About the author

Share this post

Sign up to our Newsletter

Follow IWORK on social

Subscribe to our Podcast

Latest Articles

Don't forget to sign up to our newsletter

Subscribe to Podcast Series

Subscribe to our Podcasts through Apple Podcasts by following the links below:

All About Self Employment

Empowering Agency Workers

Sign up to our weekly updates by giving us your details below

Submit Review